Friday, November 30, 2012

Simple Cheese Danish

Am I actually posting a recipe?!
It feels like forever since I have talked about food.

Lately I have had a hankering for sugar. I think I am getting a little bit of sweet tooth, which is out of the norm for me. Crazy, I know. I am really good at refusing dessert. As of late though, I have been rummaging through the cupboards to find something sweet.
I was surfing the web a little bit ago and came across the recipe. I saved it, to be able to make it later. When I was looking through my recipes later to make us a treat I stumbled across this little gem of a recipe. I had an extra puff pastry in the freezer, a lemon and a block of cream cheese in the fridge, I was set!
After Dave bit into this wonderful pastry, he informed me it was the best Danish he had ever eaten. That will put a smile on your wife's face.

Simple Cheese Danish
*Makes 6 Danish 


8 ounces cream cheese, light or regular, softened to room temperature 
4 tablespoons granulated sugar 
1 teaspoons grated lemon zest 
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract 
1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed (9 1/2 by 9-inch) 
1 large egg, lightly beaten with 2 tablespoons water 

Adjust an oven rack to upper-middle position and preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. In a small bowl, stir together the cream cheese, sugar, lemon zest and vanilla. Set aside. 

Roll the pastry into a 12 by 9-inch rectangle on a lightly floured counter, making sure it doesn't stick to the counter while rolling. Cut the rectangle into six 4 1/2 by 4-inch rectangles (cut it in half the long way and then cut each strip into thirds). Transfer the pastry rectangles to the baking sheet, spacing about 1 inch apart. Using the tip of a paring knife, score a 1/2-inch border around the edge of each pastry, then brush the borders with the egg wash (no fear - if you don't have a pastry brush, using your fingers works just as well!). Prick the pastry with a fork every 1 inch or so within the border (see the picture below for a visual). Place a generous 2-3 tablespoons of filling in the center of each pastry and spread it into an even layer leaving the border uncovered. 

Bake the pastries until fully puffed and golden about 12-14 minutes (watching carefully so they don't over-brown). Serve the pastries warm or at room temperature.

Recipe From: Mel's Kitchen Cafe


No comments: