Friday, November 30, 2012

Train Ride

We got to take a ride on this cool train on October 15th. We rode the famous train ride from Durango, CO to Silverton, CO. It was about a 3 1/2 hour train ride there and about 4 hours back from. It was a wonderful way to spend the day! And it was absolutely gorgeous that day!I thought of my Grandpa Stalder while we were riding the train. He loved trains, he had a collection of model trains with a train track. He would pull it out every so often and we would watch him drive the trains around the track. 
We sure miss him, but we are grateful for the memories we treasure of him.

The row of train cars. All of them were pretty old train cars. I think from the early 1900's or even earlier.

Dave bought a mug that allowed you to get as many refills of soda or hot chocolate on the train as you wanted. 

Us!
(I should have used this as our Christmas card picture, but I forgot we took this. Typical.)

Look at how beautiful the day was! 
We even spotted a hot air balloon out and about.

I like him.

You can see the two engines pulling the train cars. They are run off of coal. We got covered with coal ashes while we sat in the observation car.

I'm not sure what happened to the other engine, but here is one of them.

I absolutely love fall, especially fall in the mountains!



Don't you think mountains are amazing?


We made it to Silverton!

We ate at the BBQ place Thee Pitt's Again. 
It was so good!

Look at the size of these onions rings?! 
They were huge and probably some of the best onions rings we have ever had.

I am so glad Dave and I were able to ride on this train ride. 
It was a very neat experience.
If you ever make it out to Durango or Silverton you should definitely take a ride on the train. 

2 comments:

Kurt and Kristy said...

How fun! Seeing these pictures sure make me miss the mountains! Those are some gorgeous pictures!!

Kerry Frances said...

You picked a great time to take a train ride! Those views are amazing! Yay for living in CO!