Thursday, June 24, 2010

Lemon Bars

I got this recipe from Cindy Anderson, she is related to my Uncle Bruce, and I work with her husband Craig which is Bruce's brother. She is an excellent dessert maker, and has many good recipes. These lemon bars are delicious and easy to make. I like to use real lemons cause I think they are more tart than the lemon juice you can buy. Here is the recipe:

Crust:
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/4 cup flour

Filling:
3/4 cup sugar
2 Tbsp. flour
1/4 tsp. baking powder
pinch of salt (1/8 tsp.)
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 tsp. lemon peel grated
1/4 cup lemon juice 
1 Tbsp. powdered sugar

Heat oven to 350. Line 9 inch square pan with foil, let foil extend 2 inches over sides. Crust: Beat butter and sugar in a bowl. Stir in flour 1/2 cup at a time, beat until well blended. Dough will be crumbly. Press firmly into pan. Bake 20 minutes. Cool while making filling. Filling: Whisk sugar, flour, baking powder and slat in bowl. Whisk eggs. Add lemon peel and juice. Whisk again. Pour filling into crust. Bake 15 - 18 minutes, until set. Cool completely. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.

You don't need to spray the foil in the pan. I was worried my bars were going to be stuck to the foil. I just pulled the foil out and pulled it down off the side, cut my bars and they came off the foil very easily and weren't stuck at all.



No comments: