Sunday, August 15, 2010

Carrot Spice Muffins



I recently bought the cookbook "Baking From My Home to Yours" by Dorie Greenspan. I've seen a lot of recipes on food blogs that came from this book that looked delicious and decided I would buy it. These muffins are the first thing I have tried from the book. I made them for my Dad for his birthday breakfast, he loves carrot cake and nuts and raisins so these muffins were a treat for him. I am not a fan of raisins in things but the part I had without a raisin was good! The flavor of the muffins have the right amount of spice to them.


Carrot Spice Muffins

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup (packed) light brown sugar
2/3 cup flavorless oil, such as canola, sunflower or corn
2 large eggs
3/4 cup whole milk
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1 cup shredded carrots (about 3, peeled and trimmed)
1/2 cup shredded sweetened coconut (I didn't add this)
1/3 cup moist, plump currants or raisins (I used raisins)
1/3 cup pecans or walnuts, toasted, cooled and chopped (I used pecans)

Center a rack in the oven and preheat the oven to 375. Butter or spray the 12 molds in a regular-size muffin pan or fit the molds with paper muffin cups. Alternatively, use a silicone muffin pan, which needs neither greasing nor paper cups. Place the muffin pan on a baking sheet. (I didn't put mine on a baking sheet) 
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, baking soda and salt. Stir in the brown sugar, making certain there are no lumps. In a large glass measuring cup or another bowl, whisk the oil, eggs, milk and vanilla extract together until well combined. Pour the liquid ingredients over the dry ingredients and, with the whisk or a rubber spatula, gently but quickly stir to blend. Don't worry about being thorough - a few lumps are better than over mixing the batter. Stir in the carrots, coconut, currants and nuts. Divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until a think knife inserted into the center of the muffins comes out clean. ( About 17 minutes was good for me.) Transfer the pan to a rack and cool for 5 minutes before carefully removing each muffin from its mold.



 Here is a picture of the raspberry jam I made a few weeks ago. I have yet to try it, but it looks yummy!

No comments: