Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Creamy White Chili


I found this recipe off the site Mel's Kitchen Cafe and made it for our Ward Chili Cook Off. Man was it good! I think its one of the best white chilies I have ever had. 

I didn't win the cook off, Dave told me the judging must have had a mix up cause I should have won 1st place. :) He loved the chili, he had a bowl before the contest than one after and took some for lunch the next day. I love it when people like what I make. I highly recommend trying this chili you won't regret it!


Creamy White Chili

1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 medium onion
1 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon oil
2 cans (15 1/2 ounces each) Great Northern Beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (14 1/2 ounces) chicken broth
2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies (if you like less kick, add just one can)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup whipping cream

In a large saucepan, saute chicken, onion and garlic powder in oil until the chicken is no longer pink. Add beans, broth, chilies and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in sour cream and cream. Garnish with fresh cilantro, if desired. Serve immediately. (I added the sour cream and cream and pour it into my Crock pot and left it on warm till the cook off. It got better with time.) This is especially good served with tortilla chips and cheese. Makes about 6 servings.

No comments: