Friday, May 25, 2012

Craisin Salad with Poppy Seed Dressing

One of the hubby's favorite T.V. quotes he says to me whenever I am going to make a salad is,
 "You don't make friends with salad! You don't make friends with salad!" 
Well I think if you serve this salad it will make you friends with whoever you serve it to!
My Mom had this at a luncheon at a neighbor's house a couple months ago. She served it to me when I went home in April. I have had it twice since then!
The craisins make the salad nice and sweet. The toasted almonds and cabbage give it a nice crunch.
The homemade poppy seed dressing goes nicely with it. I like to use my sister-in-law's Shelly's. Or if you don't have stuff to make the dressing on hand, Brianna's poppy seed dressing is a nice alternative.
These amounts for the salad are approximate for 1 dinner size salad--you can adjust amounts to your preference.

Craisin Salad

3/4 cup spinach
1/2 cup shredded cabbage
1/4 cup grated mozzarella cheese
1 Tbsp. craisins
1 Tbsp. sliced almonds, toasted (I just chopped up some almonds and toasted them)
3 Tbsp. poppy seed dressing

Mix all ingredients together. Serve. (Pretty simple, eh?)

Poppy Seed Dressing

1/2 C. sugar
1 T. grey poupon mustard
1/3 c. red wine vinegar
1 C. vegetable oil
1 T. poppyseeds

Mix. Serve immediately. Chill remaining dressing.



Recipe for salad from: Randi Rich
Recipe for dressing: Shelly Millgate

No comments: