Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Garlic Tomato Bruschetta

So since I love to eat bread, I love to find stuff that goes along with bread. Toasted bread that is, with olive oil. 
The first time I had this bruschetta our family was visiting some good friends in the neighborhood I grew up in. I lovingly refer to her as "Moose". That is a nick-name she acquired back in early days of Young Womens within my church. I won't go into too much detail about, it had something to do with a humanitarian project and a baby that looked "moosey" to her. 
She is by far one of the funniest people I know. She lives in Nevada now, and I live in Texas. Amazing how things can change. 
Anyway.....
This garlic tomato bruschetta is delicious! And with hot days approaching it is the perfect snack or appetizer for summer! 
I have tried to grow my own basil so I can have it on hand for recipes like this one, but sadly I am still working on acquiring a green thumb. They tend to die and I have been keeping them in the house. Any tips on how to grow herbs would be helpful!!

Garlic Tomato Bruschetta

1/4 cup olive or canola oil (I used olive)
3 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil
3 to 4 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
4 medium tomatoes, diced
2 Tbsp. grated parmesan cheese
1 loaf (1 pound) unsliced French bread (I used baguettes)

In a bowl, combine oil, basil, garlic, salt and pepper. Add tomatoes and toss gently. Sprinkle with cheese. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Bring to room temperature before serving. Cut bread into 24 slices; toast under broiler until lightly browned. Top with tomato mixture. 
Serve immediately.

Recipe from: Kalynn (Moose) Sedgwick

No comments: