Sunday, May 20, 2012

Melt In Your Mouth Biscuits

While my parents were in town, my Dad requested biscuits and gravy for breakfast. And I remember the biscuits my Mom use to make after we went on trip through mid eastern states. If I remember correctly if was when we stopped in Ohio. We stopped to visit where the Amish lived in the country side of Ohio. Beautiful place! The Amish, they are amazing people. 
And boy can they cook!
My little brother LOVED their homemade creamed corn! He couldn't get enough of it. 
My Mom picked up a cookbook at one of the stops and this biscuit recipe was in it. The best part, they are drop biscuits. I struggle just a tad when I have to roll out and cut out biscuits. I haven't perfected not over mixing them, they turn out tough and flat instead of light and fluffy like these biscuits do. 

Melt In Your Mouth Biscuits

2 cup flour 
4 tsp. baking powder 
½ tsp. cream of tartar 
½ tsp. salt 
2 Tbsp. sugar 
½ cup shortening 
1 egg 
2/3 cup milk 

Sift dry ingredients together and cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse meal. Pour milk in slowly. Add egg and stir well. Drop dough on a cookie sheet. Bake 10 – 15 minutes at 450.

No comments: