Friday, May 21, 2010

Banana Nut Bread (Minus the nuts)

Since my Mom had a lot of these very ripe bananas she asked me to make them into this:

 Banana Bread!
This is a recipe my Mom said that came from her Grandma Noble, it calls for walnuts but I don't like nuts in bread, brownies, or even cookies. I know I know I am missing out so I am told. :)

Banana Nut Bread

1/4 cup melted shortening
1 egg
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup sour milk (to make sour milk add 1/2 tsp lemon juice to the 1/4 cup of milk)
3 mashed ripe bananas
2 cups flour
1 heaping teaspoon soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup walnuts (optional)

Mix together shortening, egg, and sugar. Add sour milk and mashed bananas. Sift together flour, soda and salt, stir into mixture. Add the cup of walnuts.
Bake at 350 for 1 hour in a greased and floured loaf pan. (I just greased mine.) My Mom said to make sure to cook the full hour or it will be doughy, but I think I could have pulled it out at 50 to 55 minutes. Makes 1 loaf.



No comments: