Friday, May 14, 2010

Orange Chicken

Last night I tried out my friend Sam's recipe to make the breading for orange chicken or sweet and sour chicken. You can pretty much use the batter for whatever you would like; pork, chicken, beef, shrimp, deep fried candy bars, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, whatever you would like to try.

My Mom helped me finish the frying while I did the fried rice.

Finished product! Turned out pretty good. A little different than Sam's but close. I will have to ask her about her frying technique. 

I didn't make any orange sauce, my Mom buys these bottles of Panda Express Orange Sauce from Costco so we just used that and poured it over the chicken.

This is what I used to make fried rice. The picture is blurry sorry. It was a pretty good seasoning though, a little spicy for me. But I am a sissy when it comes to spice.

When I put the rice in I had let the oil sit too long so it was way hot when I started pouring the rice in the pan, it started popping like popcorn all over the place. It is always an adventure when I cook. I got grease all over the place.

This is the whole meal. My Dad added the strawberries cause he said I need some color in my picture. It was pretty good.

Here is the recipe for the batter:
1 cup flour
1 cup cornstarch
2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. sugar
1 1/2 cup water

Blend it well, than dip whatever you are frying in batter than in oil. 

I also have a recipe for homemade sweet and sour sauce, I haven't tried it but Sam says it is delicious. 

Sweet and Sour Sauce:
Boil 4 cups water
Add: 1 orange, peel and cut into quaters
1/2 lemon peeled and cut in half
2 Tbsp. onion
1 Tbsp. ginger, peeled
1/2 Tbsp. veg. oil

Turn to low and simmer for 45 mins. Strain mixture keeping all the juice. Return to pot.
Add to juices:
1 1/2 cup sugar
2 Tbsp. ketchup
1 Tbsp. soy sauce
1/4 cup vinegar
1 Tbsp. salt
1 Tbsp. red food coloring
1/2 Tbsp. yellow food coloring
Boil.

In separate bowl combine 1/2 cup cornstarch with 1/4 Tbsp. water.
Take about 1 cup of the boiling sauce and add to the cornstarch mixture to thin it out. If you add the cornstarch all at once it gets clumpy. Pour everything into the pot. It will thicken up very fast.

No comments: