Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Grandma's Sandies

These scrumptious cookies go by a few different names, pecan sandies, snowball cookies, Mexican Wedding cookies, though those are moon shaped. They are also referred to Russian Tea Cakes. 
Whatever they are referred to as, they rank high on my cookie ranking. 
Now, I think I have said that I don't like nuts in cookies, except in these cookies. Pecans find a good home in these rich nutty shortbread rolled in powdered sugar.
This recipe was given to my from my friend Jan. She usual makes them every Christmas I believe, I had forgotten all about these cookies until she made them a couple of years ago. 
I am so glad she reunited me!
When making these make sure your butter is soft. Our rental is cold since it is poorly insulated so my butter wasn't as soft as it should have been. After you mix all the ingredients it should make a dough that sticks together somewhat. Mine wasn't sticking together to well. I had to work the dough with my hands to get the butter to melt so it was easier to work with. 
Though I still needed to really squeeze the balls I made in the palm of my hand to get them to stay together. It all worked out well though.
These little cookies melt in your mouth.
Just make sure NOT to inhale as you are biting into one, a coughing attack will occur due to the fact you will be choking on some powdered sugar.


Grandma's Sandies


1 cup margarine, softened (I used all butter)
1/2 cup sugar
3 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp. cold water
1 cup chopped nuts (I prefer pecans)
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
powdered sugar for rolling the cookies in


Mix all ingredients together. Roll into balls. Bake at 350 for 15 to 20 minutes. Roll in powdered sugar while still warm.
Once they have cooled, roll them in the powdered sugar one more time. 

No comments: