Monday, December 5, 2011

Asparagus and Strawberry Salad

I love, love, loved this salad!! 
I love asparagus, I love strawberries, I love feta or blue cheese, and I definitely love poppy seed dressing!! So you this salad was just perfect for me. 
I had this and a church progressive Thanksgiving dinner activity, it was on my list of things to make since then. Thank you Mindy for bringing it!
In fact we had it twice while my parents were here, we had it the night they arrived and the following Sunday. Yeah, I thoroughly enjoyed it!
I didn't have any sesame seeds and the dressing was still perfect.
I don't know if asparagus is in season where some of you guys are, but if it is I would definitely suggest making this salad!! 
It would be the perfect salad any time of the year. 

Asparagus and Strawberry Salad

1/4 cup sugar
2 Tbsp. cider vinegar
1 Tbsp. poppy seeds
1 1/2 tsp. sesame seeds
3/4 tsp. grated onion
1/4 tsp. salt, optional
1/8 tsp. paprika
1/8 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 pound fresh asparagus
1 pint fresh pint strawberries, sliced
1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese or feta, optional

In a jar with tight-fitting lid, combine the sugar, vinegar, poppy seeds, sesame seeds, onion, salt if desired, paprika and Worcestershire sauce; shake until sugar is dissolved. Add the oil; shake well cover and refrigerate 1 hour.

Snap of ends of asparagus, discard ends. Cut the remaining asparagus into thirds. In a skillet, cook the asparagus in a small amount of water until crisp-tender, about 6-8 minutes, drain well cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. 
Arrange the asparagus and strawberries on a serving plate; sprinkle with blue cheese or feta cheese if desired. Pour the dressing over all. Serve with slotted spoon. 

*Instead of cooking the asparagus in a pan, cook it in boiling water for 3 minutes, then pull it out immediately and place it in an ice bath. This helps the asparagus to stay nice and crisp, just make sure you snap the asparagus before you cook it.

No comments: