Monday, April 23, 2012

Shrimp & Grits

Hooray I finally am doing a recipe update!!

Now, I have never had grits before in my life. But since I live closer to where a lot of good southern cooking is made I decided I need to try them. 
When I told my Dad I was having grits for dinner, he told me to tell him how much of my dinner was going to be wasted after I tasted the grits. He served his mission in the Carolina/Virginia area, so he has had grits before. He wasn't too sure how shrimp and grits were going to pair together so well either.

Dad, the whole dish was absolutely delicious!

I will admit it probably helped that the grits had 2 cups of cheese in them. The grits are a different texture but I liked them.
It was a prefect bite when you got a little piece of bacon, a little shrimp and grits all together. 

All I can say is:
YUM!

For those of you who have never tried grits, I suggest you give this recipe a try. 
It is always fun to try something new!

Shrimp & Grits
Serves 4-6

4 c. water
1 c. grits (regular or quick-cooking, but not instant)
3 Tbsp. salted butter
Tabasco sauce to taste
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined 
6 oz. regular (not thick-sliced or maple) bacon, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 Tbsp. + 1 tsp. lemon juice
2 Tbsp. fresh chopped parsley
1 c. thinly sliced green onions
2 cloves garlic, minced

Cook grits according to package directions. When you have about 15 minutes left on the grits, cook the bacon until brown and crispy. Transfer the bacon to a paper towel-lined plate, reserving the bacon drippings.

Cook the shrimp in the bacon drippings over medium-high heat until they are just starting to turn pink (about 2 minutes). Add the lemon juice, garlic, green onions, parsley, and cooked bacon and cook for about 3 more minutes or until the shrimp are just pink all the way through. Season with kosher salt and Tabasco sauce to taste (if desired).

When the grits are done cooking, stir in the butter and cheese until smooth. Season with kosher salt and Tabasco sauce to taste. Ladle the grits into shallow bowls and top with the shrimp mixture for serving (although you’ll want to stir it all together before eating). Serve with a light green salad to offset the heaviness of the grits. 


Recipe From: Our Best Bites

No comments: