Saturday, February 19, 2011

Cowboy Cake

I just barely made this cake an hour ago and thought it was so great that I decided I needed to do a post about it right away! And remember how I don't really like cake? :) I made it for breakfast since I am not a fan of cereal like I use to be. And we have had eggs, pancakes and bacon for dinner twice this week I was in the mood for something sweet. I was telling my husband last night that I needed a treat, this cake hit the spot! I cut myself a piece while it was still warm, YUM!! I found this recipe off of the Sister's Cafe. I think this is called cowboy cake cause it is a very basic recipe that a chuck wagon cook could probably make on a cattle drive....if they had access to buttermilk. Hmmm....? Anyway this cake is like a coffee cake (maybe that is why I like it more then regular cake), so it is good for breakfast, brunch, lunch, snack time, dinner, and dessert. 

Cowboy Cake

2 1/2 c. flour
1/2 c. butter.
1 1/2 c. brown sugar
2 tsp. cinnamon

Reserve 1/2 cup for the top of the bread (cake). Then add the following ingredients and mix well:

1/4 tsp. salt
2 eggs
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 c. buttermilk

Pour into a greased 9x13 pan. Sprinkle top with reserved 1/2 cup crumbly mixture. Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes. 

Mine only took 25 minutes, I also halved this recipe since it is just the hubby and I. Now I am debating if I should have done a full pan. :)

6 comments:

Lisa said...

What a neat name for this cake. I don't know either if they had this on their cattle drives, but if they did, I'm sure they enjoyed it because it looks good. I hope you'll come by and link it up to Sweets for a Saturday #5. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/02/sweets-for-saturday-5.html

Miz Helen said...

Hi Hollie,
Your Cowboy Cake looks very good, I would like to try the recipe. Thank you for sharing and you have a great week end!

Hollie said...

Thank you Miz Helen! You have a great weekend as well. :)

And thanks Lisa for inviting me again to the Sweets for Saturday!

Christina @ Still Lucky said...

Haha, cowboy cake, what an awesome name! It does look like a coffee cake. Glad you found a cake you enjoy! :)

Amy said...

This is such a unique cake...Love the name of the cake too! :)

I'm hosting the Culinary Smackdown Battle for March--the theme is Cookies. Would you like to join in for the fun? It doesn' have to be a new post on your blog. You can pick your favorite cookie from your previous post too. All you have to do is link up your cookie creation. I have some great prizes waiting. Hope to see your entry soon!

Amy
http://utry.it/2011/03/culinary-smackdown-battlecookies.html

Lisa said...

Thanks for linking up to Sweets for a Saturday.