Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Banana Foster

The ice cream started to melt before I got a good picture of this. 


The first time I had a banana foster was at the La Caille restaurant back home in Utah. There they actually light the rum (if you use the rum, I didn't when I made this) on fire and burn off the alcohol. It is a very exciting dessert! Then I didn't have one for many years later until one night at our good friends the Rogersons, Nino cooked us up some. I was impressed with how he could take a few simple ingredients and make something so good!
 We had this delicious dessert for on Valentine's Day! I had been craving it for a strait week before we had them. I love bananas and when you put them in a nice hot caramel sauce you can't go wrong!

Banana Foster

1 stick butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
4 bananas, peeled and cut into slices or cut lengthwise
1/4 cup dark rum, optional (it is just as good without it)
vanilla ice cream (optional)
pound cake (optional)

In a large skillet, melt the butter. Using a wooden spoon, add brown sugar and stir together. Add the bananas and cook until caramelized on both sides, over medium-high heat. Move pan off heat, add the rum and return to the stove to catch a flame from the gas stove or a long lighter. Stand back when ignited and flambe the bananas. Be careful a flame will shoot up above the pan. Let flame die down and the alcohol cook out. Serve bananas over vanilla ice cream and/or a slice of pound cake.

I am good with just a good old bowl of vanilla ice cream and the caramel banana sauce. :)



1 comment:

Lisa said...

Mmm, I've only had bananas foster once and I loved it. This looks every bit as good as I remember it. Thanks for linking this up to Sweets for a Saturday.