Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Corn Chowder

Since I had spent a good part of the day in the rain last week, I was ready for a good bowl of hot soup to warm me up. I was trying to decide what kind of soup I should make, there are so many choices! I love creamy soups more then I do broth soups, like chicken noodle soup. Unless its creamy chicken noodle soup that my Aunt makes, I love that soup. 
I decided I needed to use what I had in the chicken, I wasn't going to make any special trips to the store since I was already in comfy clothes for the rest of the day. I remembered this soup recipe I found and I had all the ingredients it required.
This soup was good, and easy to make. 
Though I think next time I would add some green chilies to spice it up a little bit.  I think since moving to Texas I am finding I think almost anything could use green chilies. :)
It goes great with some toasted garlic bread.

Corn Chowder

6 pieces bacon
1 medium onion, diced
2-3 cloves garlic
3-4 Tbsp. flour
3 cups milk 
1 can creamed corn
2 cups cut corn (it said grilled corn is best, all I had was frozen)
4-5 potatoes, boil and cubed
3 Tbsp. butter

Fry up the 6 pieces of bacon. Saute the onion and garlic in the bacon drippings. Add the flour to the onions/garlic mixture and stir constantly for a few minutes. Next add the milk, creamed corn and 2 cups cut corn. Add boiled potatoes. Put the 3 tablespoons of butter into the chowder and let it simmer on low until thick and bubbly. Crumble the bacon on top and soup and garnish with green onions. 

Recipe From: Cowgirl's Country Life

1 comment:

Shelly said...

Mmmm...that sounds yummy! I'll definitely have to give that one a try!!