Thursday, September 1, 2011

Reuben Sandwiches

I love me some reuben sandwiches! It is right up there with the list of my all time favorite things to eat, right next to the patty melt! I love everything about this sandwich, the corned beef or pastrami, sauerkraut, thousand island dressing on the delicious rye bread. Who wouldn't love that?! 
Now my husband is not a fan of sauerkraut, but he gobbled this sandwich up, including the drippings of sauerkraut. 
In fact as I write this post to talk about this wonderful sandwich, my husband and I are drooling at the mouth a little because we would like to both eat one right now! 
Do yourself a favor and go get the ingredients and make yourself a reuben tonight! 
I chose a dark rye for my choice of rye bread, but any type of rye bread will do. 
Enjoy!! I know I will be eating this sandwich again soon!

Reuben Sandwiches
    2 tablespoons butter
    8 slices rye bread
    8 slices deli sliced corned beef or pastrami 
    8 slices Swiss cheese
    1 cup sauerkraut, drained
    3/4 cup Thousand Island dressing

    Preheat a large skillet or griddle on medium heat.
     Lightly butter one side of bread slices. Spread non-buttered sides with Thousand Island dressing. On 4 bread slices, layer 1 slice Swiss cheese, 2 slices corned beef, 1/4 cup sauerkraut and second slice of Swiss cheese. Top with remaining bread slices, buttered sides out.
    Grill sandwiches until both sides are golden brown, about 15 minutes per side. Serve hot.

No comments: