Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Jalapeño Poppers


I am starting to enjoy a little spice in my food, so I decided I would give these Jalapeño Poppers a try from the Pioneer Woman. Lets just say I had plenty of spice in my mouth! A little too much heat for me, so much so my eyes started to water. I used too thick of bacon also for these, but maybe that helped subdue the heat a little. Next time I make these I would use thinner bacon, and maybe give pickled jalapeños a try. I have been told pickled jalapeños aren't as hot as the fresh ones. These are a little time consuming but very easy to make. You'll wanna wear gloves while cleaning out the peppers. I was wearing gloves and still burned my forearm cause I was laying it in the bag I was discarding the insides of the peppers in. If you love some spice in your food you should definitely give these a try!


Jalapeño Poppers

20 whole Fresh Jalapenos, 2-3 Inches In Size
2 cubes Cream Cheese, softened
1 pound Thin(regular) Bacon, Sliced Into Thirds

If you have them, slip on some latex gloves for the pepper prep… Cut jalapenos in half, length-wise. With a spoon, remove the seeds and white membrane (the source of the heat; leave a little if you like things HOT). Smear softened cream cheese into each jalapeno half. Wrap jalapeno with bacon pieces (1/3 slice). Secure by sticking toothpick through the middle. (At this point, you can freeze them, uncooked, in a Ziploc bag for later use).
Bake on a pan with a rack in a 375-degree oven for 20-25 minutes. You don’t want the bacon to shrink so much it starts to the squeeze the jalapeno. If, after 20 minutes, the bacon doesn’t look brown enough, just turn on the broiler for a couple of minutes to finish it off. These are best when the jalapeno still has a bit of bite to it.
Serve immediately, or they’re also great at room temperature.

2 comments:

Cam said...

Everything you post makes me hungry :)

Talia Draper said...

We make these all the time and love them!! I have found that really scooping out the indsides and then rinsing them in water helps with the spice a ton! You want to make sure that not only are the seeds out but that the whiteish veins are completely out too. Basically, the more you leave on the inside, the spicier they will be. Rinsing them in water really helps too. I made some a couple of weeks ago and didn't clean them out very well (I was lazy). We really paid for that when we ate them though. They were too spicey to finish. Yummy Yummy!!