Sunday, March 13, 2011

Sweetwater 53 Annual Rattlesnake Roundup

Yesterday I went with our friends the Glovers and 2 other couples that I was introduced to, the Clarks and the Davis' to the Sweetwater Rattlesnake Roundup. Dave had to work, but I didn't want to miss out on the roundup! 
It was a huge deal! It was packed! There was lots of food, lots of stuff for sale, and lots of snakes! 

They keep the snakes in a closed off area and have the handlers show you the snakes. This area was the milking area, where they milk the venom from the DiamondBack Rattlesnakes. I didn't get a picture of this, he wasn't doing it when we were watching. 

This one looked like it was dead on the table

They were pretty big snakes! Not ones I want to run into that is for sure!

This next picture is a little graphic

They let you skin a snake if you want to pay 20 dollars, and you keep the snake skin.

He was showing the snakes fangs, but he didn't turn to show the side I was on 

Look at all those snakes!

This guy was demonstrating handling and safety

Me with Shayla and Daylon

We even ate some snake meat! There wasn't as much meat to eat as I thought there would be. There was just a few tiny strips of meat to pull off the bones.

There is a lot to do at the roundup:

Rattlesnake parade
Snake Charmer Pageant
Guided Snake Hunt
Guided Bus Tours
A Cook-Off
Rattlesnake Dance
Carnival 

It was a pretty cool thing to see!

It was great to meet new people too. I must say people of Lubbock are extremely nice! 

No comments: