Friday, May 20, 2011

Marmalade Muffins

I am sad to admit that I have never made muffins for my husband for breakfast. Actually, I don't think I have ever made muffins period. Not that I didn't want to, I just never got around to it. We are both really big fans of muffins. 
I think I hadn't gotten around to making them since some muffins are bigger, more dense and a little on the sweet side at times, that can be just too much for me in the morning. I think David wouldn't have a problem with having extra large sweet muffins for breakfast. But since I usually am up before him on the days that we get to have breakfast together, I usually get to pick what is on the menu.
I LOVED these muffins for so many reason:

1. They are bite size
2. They are light and fluffy
3. My taste buds have matured and I love oranges in breads now
4. Who wouldn't love a brown sugar orange glaze on their muffin
5. Dare I say these muffins are cute....

They were delicious when they were warm, but I think I enjoyed them even more the next day!
For those who are in love with muffins for breakfast, or any time of the day for that matter, you must try these...cute and yummy muffins!

Marmalade Muffins
Makes 24 mini muffins*

2 oranges
1/2 pound (2 sticks) butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup buttermilk
1 tsp. baking soda
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar

Preheat oven to 375.
Begin by grating the zest from the oranges. Cream the butter and sugar together in a mixing bowl. Crack in the eggs and mix until well combined.
Sift the flour, add it to the bowl. Gently stir the mixture using as few strokes as possible, so that the muffins aren't tough.
In a small measuring cup or bowl, combine the buttermilk and baking soda.
Add the buttermilk mixture to the muffin batter and mix until just combined. Add the orange zest. Mix until combined, being careful not to overmix. 
Grease 24 mini muffin tins and fill each two-thirds full with muffin batter.
Bake for 12 to 17 minutes, until light brown. Watch to make sure they don't get too brown.
While the muffins are baking, prepare the glaze. Juice the 2 oranges that you just zested. Add the orange juice and brown sugar to a medium bowl and stir together just until combined, don't worry about dissolving the brown sugar completely. You want the glaze to be grainy and textured. 
As soon as the muffins are done, drizzle the glaze all over the top. Be sure to thoroughly coat each muffin.
Serve the muffins warm. 
(But they are even better the next day I think)

Recipe adapted from: The Pioneer Woman Cooks
*I got about 32 mini muffins

No comments: