Friday, May 27, 2011

Dutch Oven Chicken and Potates

One of my favorite ways to cook is outside in a dutch oven with coals. I am sad I don't get to do it enough. Every time I do it makes me want to be up in the mountains, camping, and enjoying this beautiful world we live in. Oh how I miss the mountains back home in Utah! 
Our first few weeks in Lubbock, there was a sale on whole chickens at the local supermarket. I decided to get one and freeze it to enjoy sometime down the road. Well I got a hankering for dutch oven cooking, after trying to think of what to have (there are a lot of choices!) I decided this chicken was the perfect solution to my craving.
For a side dish I went with a basic dutch oven diced potato recipe:


Can you tell I like cheese?


Dave was in charge of the coals, it took a while to get them hot since it is always WINDY here in Lubbock.


Since Dave hasn't finished the smoker yet we put a pizza pan in the bottom and put the hot coals on top of it. 


That way the wind wouldn't blow out the coals. Now I wanted to dig a hole in the ground for this, but David didn't think the landlord would of liked us digging up our "wonderful grass". 


We put the chicken on the bottom and the potatoes on top of that.


Just thought I would share a picture of the furball! 


Silly guys, they love that hammock.


Roast Chicken (Or Turkey)
(14 inch deep Dutch oven or larger-depending on the size of bird)


1 chicken (Or small turkey)
1 Tbsp. pepper
1 tsp. sage
1 tsp. thyme
1 cup water
1 clove garlic
1 onion 
1 stock celery (I used about half, the chicken was on the smaller side)
2 or 3 pieces of bacon (as you can tell I used 4)


Rinse the chicken (turkey) inside and out. Remove the neck and giblets. Mix the spices in a bowl and rub the mixture inside and out of the chicken (turkey). Cut onion and celery into large pieces., with garlic; place inside the chicken (turkey). (Put them in the Dutch oven if the bird is stuffed.) Put bacon strips over the breast of the chicken (turkey).  Add enough water to steam or roast in moist heat. (You will notice in the first picture, my chicken gave off a lot of fat, I only added enough water to cover the bottom.) A tent may be placed over the bird to protect from excess browning. Cook with hot Dutch oven 20 minutes then reduce the heat to a moderate 300 to 325 for 15 minutes per pound or until well done. It takes longer for stuffed birds. Start with 14 coals on top and bottom then reduce heat to 12 on top and 10 on bottom.


Dice Potatoes
(14 inch Dutch oven)
(I used a 12 inch since I didn't make the whole recipe)


3 cans cream soup (I used 1 cream of mushroom)
10 lbs. diced potatoes (I used 2.5 lbs.)
3/4 lbs. grated cheese (I just put on what I thought was enough)


Stir together dice potatoes and soup. Salt and pepper to taste. Cook 1 hour. Add cheese the last ten minutes. Cook just until cheese is melted. 12 coals on bottom 14 to 16 on top. 
(I think my potatoes only took 45 minutes since I wasn't cooking as much, so watch them closely.)

No comments: