Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Cornbread With Honey Butter

Does anyone remember Frontier Pies? I loved that restaurant. The decorations for the old west hanging on their walls, the white and red checkered table clothes, and the waiters and waitress dressed in olden day pioneer clothes. I would say Frontier Pies even smelt like the good old days of the old west (I wouldn't know if the old west smelt good though).
The best part of Frontier Pies though, for me, was the cornbread! You would think it would have been the pie, but at my young age I didn't really care about pie.
I loved the cornbread! It was more like cake, it was so sweet and so moist. 


I made this cornbread to go with the delicious pot of chili I made the other day. After biting into this wonderful piece of bread drenched in honey butter brought me back to the good old days when my parents took us kids out to eat at Frontier Pies. 
Try the cornbread! 
You must try it with the honey butter, it is by far the best honey butter I have ever had!

Cornbread

½ cup cornmeal
1 ½ cup flour
2/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1/3 cup oil
3 tablespoons butter, melted
2 eggs, beaten
1 ¼ cup milk
Add dry ingredients, make a well and add oil, butter, eggs, and milk into the center.  Stir until just mixed (batter will be runny - don't be alarmed!).  Bake in an 8” square pan at 350 degrees for 35 minutes. This doubles perfectly for a 9X13-inch pan.

Honey Butter

2 sticks butter, softened
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup marshmallow fluff
Whip all together with an electric mixer and serve at room temperature (can be refrigerated and softened).


Recipes taken from: Mel's Kitchen Cafe


No comments: