Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Margherita Pizza (My favorite pizza)

I absolutely LOVE margherita pizza!
It is by far one of my favorite pizza, right up there with BBQ chicken bacon pizza.
I love the fresh topping ingredients. I bought a basil plant just so I could make this pizza, and have a never ending stash of basil. (At least that is what I was planning on, its starting to die.) The tomatoes I am growing in my garden will be perfect to use on this pizza when they are all nice, plump and juicy. 
Who can forget the wonderful amount of mozzarella cheese? Have I ever mentioned how much I love cheese?? All types of cheese. 
 I ending up trying a new pizza dough recipe, I liked it, though I think I like the pizza dough recipe from The Pioneer woman more. 

Margherita Pizza

3 medium vine-ripened tomatoes (of course from your own garden is best!), chopped in large chunks 1 tsp minced garlic 1/2 tsp kosher salt 1/4 tsp black pepper 1 Tb olive oil 1/3 cup+ loosely packed fresh basil leaves, julienne cut mozzarella cheese, shredded (fresh mozzarella is wonderful) Parmesan cheese, shredded


Combine all ingredients except cheese and toss lightly.  Roll out pizza dough to 12 inch circle and place on hot pizza stone.  Sprinkle 1 cup of mozzarella on dough.  Spoon on tomato mixture and spread evenly over cheese.  Sprinkle about 1/4 cup parmesan on top.   Bake in preheated oven at 450 degrees for 12-15 minutes or until cheese is starting to brown and crust is a deep golden.  Let cool for 5 minutes.  Sprinkle additional 1-2 tablespoons of fresh basil over pizza before serving.
Pizza Dough
1 1/2 cups very warm water
1 Tb sugar
1 scant Tb yeast
1/2 tsp salt
2 Tb olive oil
4 cups flour
In a large mixing bowl dissolve sugar and yeast in warm water - let sit for 10 minutes. Foam should form on top.  Whisk in salt, olive oil and 1 cup flour. Whisk in 2nd cup of flour.  At this point put on dough hook and turn mixer in low as you add the last 2 cups of flour.  If your dough is too sticky, add flour a little bit at a time until dough forms a ball. Knead for 5 minutes. (Or 10 minutes by hand)  Place dough in oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Allow to rise for an hour in a warm place until double in size. Punch down dough and divide into 2 parts. Each half will make a 12 inch pizza.  If you only want to make one pizza now, then put other dough ball in an oiled freezer bag and pop in the freezer for another day!  Allow dough to rest for 15 minutes then roll out.
Recipe taken from: The Sisters Cafe


No comments: