Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Blinchiki (Russian Crepes)

I love crepes! I love that you can fill them with whipped cream and fruit, syrups, jam or even melted chocolate. It is just simply delicious! I even like them plain, hot off the pan. 
Crepes are very popular all over Europe and Russia. 
I think the crepe you would find in France is going be different then the crepe Russian crepe we made. 
My husband served a 2 year mission in far East Russia. He made crepes like this on his mission. This recipe isn't the one he had on his mission, we have misplaced his little cookbook so we Googled for a recipe and found this wonderful recipe. 
I am going to be making these for my family when we go home to Utah for a family reunion in Mount Pleasant. I think this is a recipe I will use often, it is simple and they are quick. The tricky part is flipping them over on the pan. They are VERY thin, so it will be tricky. You batter should be extremely thin as well, so don't freak out if you think it is too thin. It will work just fine. 
I suggest making homemade whipped cream to put on these, I like it better then the already made stuff from the grocery store.


Blinchiki (Russian Crepes)


2 1/4 c. milk or water
3 eggs
1 1/4 c. flour
1 Tbsp. sugar (if you want it to be sweeter add 2 Tbsp. of sugar)
1 tsp. salt
3 Tbsp. vegetable or olive oil


Mix the eggs, salt and sugar in a mixing bowl until thoroughly blended. Add milk or water to the mixture and mix well. Stir in flour, mixing well to make sure that there are no lumps in the mixture. Add vegetable oil to the batter and mix well. Leave to stand for 10-15 minutes. Oil a skillet. Pour the batter on the hot oiled skillet and cook on one side until golden then flip the blinchiki over and brown the other side.
Serve crepes with jam, sour cream, honey, syrup, melted chocolate, whipped cream and fruit.


Recipe Adapted From: Fun Russian 

No comments: