Monday, July 11, 2011

Chicken Cordon Bleu

My experience with chicken cordon bleu has mostly been with those pre-made ones in the freezer section of the grocery store. Lets just say they don't taste nearly as good as this semi-homemade recipe. 


I loved this dish! The coating is crunchy since you use corn flakes to coat the chicken. I made two big pieces of chicken cordon bleu instead of the four the recipes calls for. They were pretty big pieces of chicken and Dave flattened the pieces chicken pretty good. Next time I think I will cut them in half, they were pretty filling. Though I think next time I would like to find a different sauce, it was good I would just like something a little more then cream of chicken soup.    Don't get me wrong, it was good! I just want something a little more homemade.


Chicken Cordon Bleu


4 chicken breasts
8 thin slices of ham (like shaved ham)
4 slice swiss cheese, cut in half
salt
pepper
1/4 cup melted butter
1/2 cup crushed cornflakes

Sauce:
1 (10.75 oz) can cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup reduced fat sour cream
1 tsp. lemon juice
milk


Place 1 chicken breast between two pieces of plastic wrap or inside a gallon sized freezer bag.  Pound chicken until all even in thickness.  You want it to be about 1/8 inch thick.  Continue this process with each chicken breast.
Lightly salt and pepper one side of the chicken breasts.  Then place 2 slices of the ham on the center of each chicken breast.  Then top ham with 2 halves of swiss cheese.  Then roll up chicken breasts jelly roll style with ham and chicken on the inside.  Tuck in ends and seal well.  Secure each chicken roll with bakers twine or toothpicks.
Dip each chicken roll in butter then roll in cornflake crumbs until coated.  Place chicken rolls in a 9 x 13 baking dish.
Bake uncovered at 400 degrees for 40 minutes until juices run clear and chicken is golden brown.
When the chicken has cooked for 30 minutes makes the sauce.  Place the soup, sour cream, and lemon juice in a sauce pan.  Add a little milk to help thin out.  Heat over medium heat until heated through.  Add more milk if needed to make the sauce the desired thickness.
Serve chicken rolls topped with sauce.


Recipe Taken From: Real Mom Kitchen

2 comments:

Trever and Charie said...

This is one of our favorite dishes I make, I use canadian bacon instead of ham though (less fat) I also use mozzarella cheese instead of swiss (like to change it up a bit) and I have a recipe for a cream sauce I will have to email you, I'm not a fan of the cream I like it plain. But you might enjoy it!

Hollie said...

Yes please do email me that!!! Thanks! :)