Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Dutch Oven Potatoes (4th of July Celebration)

Excuse this picture, it just doesn't give these potatoes justice. 
These potatoes are my FAVORITE dutch oven potatoes. They are loaded. They have mushrooms, onions, bacon and other unhealthy things so they just gotta be amazing right?! 
I have to tell my Dad thank you for introducing me to dutch oven cooking. He has been cooking in a cast iron pot for as along as I can remember. It is one of my favorite memories of my Dad, and it is still the highlight of my camping trips. We don't just use cast iron when we go camping, we use them all the time. I treasure mine. They seem to make the food taste better.
Back to the potatoes, try them! You will love this recipe. If it is too unhealthy for you don't be afraid to change it up a bit, but I am telling you now it won't be as good. 


Byron's Dutch Oven Potatoes


1lb. thick slice bacon
2 med. yellow onions, sliced (I diced them)
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
15 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced (I didn't peel mine)
1 10 1/2oz. can of cream of chicken soup
1 10 1/2oz. can cheddar cheese soup
1 cup sour cream
2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbsp. soy sauce
salt and pepper to taste


Heat a 12" deep dutch oven using 18-20 briquettes on the bottom until oven is hot. Cut bacon into 1 inch slices and place in oven and fry until brown. Add onions, garlic and mushrooms. Stir, then cover and cook until onions are translucent. Add potatoes. In a large bowl combine remaining ingredients and mix well. Pour soup mixture  over potatoes and stir until all potatoes are coated. Cover and cook 60 minutes using 10-12 briquettes on the bottom and 12-14 briquettes on the top. Stir pot gently every 15 minutes.


Recipe taken from: Byron's Dutch Oven Recipes

No comments: