Friday, July 29, 2011

Cheese Steak Sandwiches

Now I know these cheese steak sandwiches aren't from Philly, but they are just as good! In fact they were so good I ate 2! I even got to use up some of the green peppers that were growing in my little garden. Which by the way my garden is dying, I'll post about that later. I love the mixture of sauteed peppers, onions and meat. And all sandwiches are better with melted cheese on them. I highly recommend adding the hot sauce to the mixture. I used the green Tabasco sauce, it added a nice flavor. 

Cheesesteak Sandwiches

1 lb. steak (you really can use any cut; since you’re going to slice it up and season it heavily, there’s really no need to splurge on a fillet mignon.)
2 Tbsp. butter
1 green bell pepper
1 medium yellow onion
Provolone
Kosher salt and freshly-ground black pepper
Hot sauce (like Tabasco or Cholula; optional,)
4-6 Hoagie rolls

All righty then, onto the recipe. Slice bell peppers and onions. Set aside. Slice meat. Set aside. Heat 2 Tbsp. butter over medium-high heat in a large skillet. Add steak and stir-fry. Season heavily with salt and lots of freshly-ground pepper. When meat is about half-cooked, add peppers and onions. Stir occasionally, cooking until most of the liquid is evaporated and meat is cooked through. Season with hot sauce to taste. 
Spoon steak mixture inside. Top with cheese and place under broiler for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted and bread is slightly toasty.


Recipe From: Our Best Bites 

No comments: