Friday, November 12, 2010

Meatloaf Anyone?



I know what your are thinking, "Seriously, meatloaf? Who eats meatloaf?"
Cause I am one of those people that says that when people tell me they eat meatloaf. Well I think I have changed my ways, at least for this recipe of meatloaf, and actually mine and Dave's Grandmas' recipes, and my Dad's cowboy meatloaf. :) But other then that I am not a huge fan of meatloaf. It can't be to greasy and the texture has to be just right. I like this one because you cook it on a broiler pan and the grease drains. And I like the ingredients The Pioneer Woman uses.




I would recommend doing a few things differently, since it has bacon on it mine was chewy and l like bacon to not be so chewy. I will explain what I did in the recipe part.


Meatloaf

Meatloaf:
1 cup Whole Milk
6 slices White Bread
2 pounds Ground Beef
1 cup (heaping) Freshly Grated Parmesan Cheese
¼ teaspoons Seasoned Salt
¾ teaspoons Salt
Freshly Ground Black Pepper
⅓ cups Minced Flat-leaf Parsley
4 whole Eggs Beaten
10 slices Thin/regular Bacon

Sauce:
1-½ cup Ketchup
⅓ cups Brown Sugar
1 teaspoon Dry Mustard
Tabasco To Taste


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Pour milk over the bread slices. Allow it to soak in for several minutes.
Place the ground beef, milk-soaked bread, Parmesan, seasoned salt, salt, black pepper, and parsley in a large mixing bowl. Pour in beaten eggs.
With clean hands, mix the ingredients until well combined. Form the mixture into a loaf shape on a broiler pan, which will allow the fat to drain. (Line the bottom of the pan with foil to avoid a big mess!)
Lay bacon slices over the top, tucking them underneath the meatloaf.
Make the sauce: add ketchup, brown sugar, mustard, and hot sauce in a mixing bowl. Stir together. Pour 1/3 of the mixture over the top of the bacon. Spread with a spoon. (I would suggest cooking the meatloaf without the sauce for about 30 minutes and then broiling for about 5, (watch with a close eye) for those of you who don't want your bacon extra chewy. Then again, my bacon was thicker so that could have been my problem. So I would also suggest thin bacon. After the broiler then pour sauce on.)
Bake for 45 minutes, then pour another 1/3 of the sauce over the top. Bake for another 15 minutes. (You might want to do an extra 15 to 30 minutes to make sure the center is done.)  Slice and serve with remaining sauce.
Serve with mashed potatoes. Yummy!

No comments: