Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Quingie's Caramel Corn

I have been craving this popcorn since October started, though I wasn't planning on making it till around December. As luck would have it though when I went home and surprised my parents a couple weekends ago, my Mother must of had one of those Mother intuitions and said, "We should make some caramel corn!" Oh how I love that woman! 
This is my Grandma's recipe, my Dad's Mom, we called her Quingie. In all honesty I am not sure if that is proper way to spell her name, when I was younger and said it it came out more like, "Queenie". But until I am corrected we will use the spelling "Quingie". Uh Dad, now would be a good time to correct me if I am wrong. Just this once. :)
My Mom always makes this caramel popcorn around the holidays, it is highly addicting! It is also better then any caramel corn you can buy in any store.
It has a nice crunchy caramel coating, but you also get those pockets of gooey caramel chunks in between the popped popcorn. So so good!! You must make this caramel corn this holiday season, no if, ands, or buts!

Quingies' Caramel Corn

6 qt. popped popcorn
2 cubes butter
2 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. corn syrup
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. baking soda

Melt butter, brown sugar, corn syrup and salt in a large sauce pan. Bring to a boil, boil for 5 minutes.
 Take off the burner, add teaspoon of vanilla and 1/2 teaspoon baking soda. Make sure you used a larger sauce pan, when you add the baking soda the caramel will foam up in the pan a little. 
Pour over popcorn. Bake at 250 for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.

No comments: