Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Peanut Butter Rice Krispies Treats

I have had Rice Krispie cereal in my cupboard for MONTHS, just waiting to made into these delicious treats! I don't think I can ever have just a regular Rice Krispie treat again!
 I am a HUGE fan of peanut butter in treats or desserts. Peanut butter M and M's are my all time favorite candy out of the candy aisle, well it's tied with a Cadbury Caramello candy bar. :)
Any way, Rice Krispies are an awesome quick treat. I think it is a good idea to keep the few simple ingredients on hand in case you are in need of treat last minute. I made these for my Activity Days girls, (it's a wonderful church calling I have) they were a big hit!! 
I doubled the recipe since the recipe just calls for and 8x8 pan, trust me you don't need to double it unless you want GIANT size Rice Krispie treats! Just do the regular recipe and put it in a 9x13 pan instead of the 8x8 and they will be regular size Rice Krispies. I didn't notice the cooks note about that until after I made them.
 Though there is something though about eating a giant Rice Krispie, it's quite the experience. :)

Peanut Butter Rice Krispies Treats

4 Tablespoons Butter, Unsalted
5 cups Mini Marshmallows
½ cup Creamy Peanut Butter
5-¾ cups Rice Krispies Cereal

Spray an 8×8 casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray. 
In a 4 quart sauce pan, melt butter on low heat. Do this slowly, you don’t want burnt or brown butter here. Once butter has melted, keep heat on low and add mini marshmallows. Once marshmallows begin to soften and melt, add peanut butter. At this point, you will need to constantly stir the mixture so the peanut butter does not burn and the marshmallows can evenly melt (won’t take too long, about 5 minutes or so). Once, mixture is combined and melted, turn off heat and remove pan from stove. 
Add Rice Krispies cereal to sauce pan and stir until evenly coated with mixture. This is sticky stuff so do your best to get it all combined. Pour mixture into casserole dish (it will look very loose). Spray your hand with some nonstick cooking spray and pat down the mixture until firmly compacted. Allow 30-45 minutes for treats to set up…then enjoy! These bars are so gooey, you're gonna love 'em. 

Cook’s Note: This recipe will fit a 13x9 dish just fine. I prefer a slightly thicker bar so I go with the smaller size. Also, for all you budget-conscious shoppers, I have made this recipe with the store brand cereal, marshmallows, butter and peanut butter and these treats still turn out delicious. And if you’re a Krispies treats purist (like my hubby), just leave out the peanut butter, they’ll still be gooey. As with all Rice Krispies treats, they are best eaten the day they are made. Store in airtight container if you don't eat them all the same day. I like to nuke them in the microwave for about 5-10 seconds when they start getting a little stale.

Recipe From: The Country Cook

No comments: