Saturday, April 2, 2011

Chicken A La King

My Mom use to make this a lot while I was growing up and I think if you talk to her she will tell you I didn't like it when I was little. :) But I sure do now! Though this isn't the same recipe I my Mom used, it was pretty darn close to the same recipe. I found this recipe on Real Mom Kitchen and it made me think of home and I had to make it. I love the chicken mixture over pie shells, I think it is the perfect combination!

Chicken a la King


1/2 cup butter
1 cup diced celery
1 cup fresh mushrooms
2 cups diced onion
5-6 tablespoons flour
3 1/4 cups chicken broth
1 (4 oz) jar diced pimento
2 cups half-and-half
3 1/2 cups diced cooked chicken breasts
puff pastry shells, toast points, biscuits, rice or noodles to serve over
(I made my pie crust recipe and made little pie shells in my muffin tin)


Saute celery, mushrooms, and onion in butter over medium-low heat to reach desired tenderness.
Gradually add 5-6 tablespoons flour, stirring constantly to incorporate.
Turn up heat. As mixture thickens, add chicken stock and half-and-half.
Then stir in chicken and pimento. Spoon chicken mixture into puff pastry shells or over toast points, biscuits, rice, or noodles to serve. Serves 8.


1 comment:

Nick said...

I just ate that for lunch. Good meal if I say so myself.