Saturday, April 9, 2011

Chicken Spaghetti

Now I don't make a lot of casseroles, its not that I don't like them I would just rather be making something else. Chicken spaghetti is a WONDERFUL casserole. I loved this dish, it is a comfort food to a "T"! People in Texas (well at least Lubbock) love chicken casserole! I had never heard of it till I saw it on the Pioneer Woman (she lives in Oklahoma which is borders Texas so they must share their love of chicken spaghetti), and until I moved here.
Give it try, you will fall in love with it too!



Chicken Spaghetti

2 cups cooked chicken
3 cups dry spaghetti, broken into two inch pieces
2 cans cream of mushroom soup
2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese 
1/4 cups finely diced green pepper (I used a small can of diced green chilies)
1/4 cups finely diced onion
1 jar (4 oz) diced pimentos, drained (I used just 2 oz)
2 cups reserved chicken broth from pot
1 tsp. Lawry's Seasoned Salt
1/8 tsp. (to 1/4 tsp.) cayenne pepper
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup additional grated sharp cheddar cheese

Cook 1 cut up fryer and pick out the meat to make to make two cups (I cooked 4 smaller sized chicken breast). After chicken is cooked take out 2 cups of chicken broth water. Cook spaghetti in same chicken broth until al dente. Do not overcook. When spaghetti is cooked, combine with remaining ingredients except additional 1 cup sharp cheddar. When adding the broth do not add all of it at once. You do not want the mixture to become soupy, I added about maybe 1 cup to 1 1/2 cups. 
Place mixture in casserole pan and top with remaining sharp cheddar. cover and freeze up to six months, cover and refrigerate up to two days, or bake immediately: 350 degrees for 45 minutes until bubbly (I cooked my for 30 minutes). (If the cheese on the top starts to get too cooked, cover with foil).


No comments: