Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Cinnamon Biscuits

Now these aren't biscuits and gravy, I say that because I have had some biscuits and gravy turn out just like these. :) That is hot icing drizzled over the biscuits. 
I will admit something to you all...I struggle with cooking breakfast foods. There I said it. Besides bacon and scramble eggs I am not great in the breakfast food area as much as I would like to be. 
My goal is to make wonderful, light and fluffy biscuits one day. And the only way to make that is happen is to practice, practice, practice! I even bought new biscuit cutters to help with my practicing.
These biscuits where in the line up so I could practice. Now there are actually suppose to be raisins in these biscuits, raisins and I are still trying to get along. So far I still don't like them in too many things. Though David was disappointed that I left them out. Maybe next time I will add them, cause I will definitely make these again! They were even better the next day heated in the microwave for a few seconds.

Cinnamon (Raisin) Biscuits

For the biscuits:
3 cups all-purpose flour
½ cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup vegetable shortening
2/3 cup raisins
1 cup buttermilk

For the glaze:
2 cups powdered sugar
4 tbsp. milk
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon cinnamon (optional) (I added it)


Preheat oven to 450F degrees
In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Cut in vegetable shortening using a pastry blender or a fork until mixture is crumbly.  Stir in raisins and buttermilk, stirring until dry ingredients are moistened.
Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead 3 or 4 times.
Roll dough to about ¾ inch thickness and cut with a 3-inch biscuit cutter or a mini biscuit cutter, and place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Make sure not to twist the biscuits as you cut them. Just push down and then lift the biscuit up. 
Bake for about 9-10 minutes for 3-inch biscuits and for about 6-8 minutes for mini biscuits.
Now for the glaze, combine powdered sugar, milk, vegetable oil and cinnamon in a small bowl. Stir until completely mixed. Drizzle over hot biscuits or dip the tops of the biscuits in the glaze. I like to double dip mine for a nice thick glaze on top!

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

Oh my, these look delicious! Please share your recipe with our readers by linking up to Muffin Monday. Thanks!
http://www.talkingdollarsandcents.net/muffin-monday-peanut-butter-muffins