Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Eggs Benedict

One of my all time favorite breakfast meals is Eggs Benedict! Probably because it is drizzled with Hollandaise sauce, which is a favorite of mine! I also enjoy this wonderful meal because I love eggs, toasted bread and bacon of any form. 
I even poached my own eggs without an egg poacher! 
My husband thinks we need an egg poacher, but I love how they turn out when you poach them in them boiling hot water with just a little bit of vinegar. They are rustic and just look more appealing to me. It was easy to poach them too, I thought it was going to be a little tricky but I had no problem at all. 
I topped my poached eggs and bacon on those yummy English muffins we made. Delicious!!
Seeing this picture makes me hungry for Eggs Benedict again, I shouldn't write a post about breakfast food when I have yet to eat breakfast this morning.
Make Eggs Benedict and enjoy!!


Eggs Benedict  
For the Hollandaise Sauce:
4 egg yolks
½ cup very hot water
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
½ teaspoons salt
1 ½ cups clarified butter

Over medium heat, in the top of a double boiler, add egg yolks, cayenne, salt, and ½ of the water. Stir until mixture reaches the consistency of mayonnaise. Remove from heat. Alternating the water and butter, starting with the water, slowly add the remaining hot water and butter, whisking constantly, until gone. Adding more water will thin the sauce, adding more butter will thicken the sauce. The sauce will get thicker the longer it sits. Keep the sauce warm until ready to serve.
For the poached eggs:
2 large fresh eggs
1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
Fill a large saucepan with 3 inches of water. Bring water to a gentle simmer, then add the vinegar. Carefully break eggs into simmering water. Cook for about 3 minutes. Yolks should still be soft in center. Remove eggs from water with a slotted spoon and gently place them on a plate. Keep eggs warm until serving.
To finish the Eggs Benedict:
2 pieces Canadian bacon
1 English muffin
Softened butter, for spreading on English muffin
1 tablespoon chopped chives
Brown the Canadian bacon in a medium skillet over medium-high heat and toast the English muffins.
Spread toasted muffins with softened butter, and top each muffin half with a slice of bacon and one poached egg. Drizzle with Hollandaise sauce and sprinkle with chives. Serve immediately.
Recipe Taken From: Two Peas and Their Pod

No comments: