Saturday, June 25, 2011

Quiche

It has been a LONG time since I have had quiche. I think the last time I had it I was about 12. I didn't care for it at the time. 
I am one of the activity days leaders for my church congregation (activity days is for girls ages 8 to 11), and for one of the activities we had a cooking night and made this quiche. Boy have I been missing out!! 
Holly (the other activity days leader, yes we share the same name just spelled differently) had this recipe. She took a cooking class a couple years ago and it was in the cook book the teacher gave her. 
It was delicious!! We put bacon, broccoli and cheese in the one we made with the girls. When I decided to make one at home for the hubby and I, I wanted to put artichoke hearts, spinach, bacon, cheese and mushrooms in it. Hubby wanted just ham and cheese in it. :(! Don't get me wrong it was still good! Just not as exciting to my taste buds as the other ingredients would have been. The great thing about quiche is, is that you can add whatever you want to it. It is kind of like a baked omelet in a pie shell. 
For those who have little kids, I believe this would be a good way to hide those servings of vegetables that little kids don't always like to eat.
Give it try! See what you think. 
I am curious, what would you or did you put in your quiche?
Also, this isn't just a breakfast item, you could have quiche for breakfast, lunch or dinner.

Quiche

1 pie crust (recipe to follow)
2 large eggs
1 egg yolk
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1/4 teaspoon of pepper
3/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
Ingredients of your choice (broccoli, bacon, asparagus, etc.)

Mix all ingredients in a bowl. Pour custard into pie crust and bake at 350 for 15 - 20 minutes or until knife comes out clean. (Mine took about 30 minutes I believe.)

Pie crust (makes 1 crust)

1 1/8 cup of flour
1/2 cup of shortening
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons cold water

Cut shortening into flour and salt with a fork or a pastry blender until you get crumbles the size of a pea.

Add the cold water to the dough and work together with hands. Do not over work dough! It will become too tough. 
Roll out for pie pan. 




No comments: