Thursday, June 30, 2011

Pork Sandwiches With Cilantro-Jalapeño Slaw

Now I must admit I am not a huge fan of sweet pork. Well that has all changed! Now I made this recipe this last Sunday. I had bought a pork butt roast that was a little over 3 pounds. The recipe says to cook the roast for 6 hours. I decided I would put the roast in the oven once I got back from taking David to work in the morning. So I put it in at 5 A.M, and decided I would shred it when I got back from church. Which means the roast was going to be in the oven an hour more then planned. No biggie I thought. 


As I got walked into the garage I could smell the aroma of the meat. It smelled divine! I was so excited to see how delicious the pork would look. As I opened the dutch oven I was surprised to find a big black sticky glob! 


No need to fear though! 
As I dug into the pork to see what the inside look liked it was perfect!
Even though I had over cooked my little roast (I went back to the recipe and noticed they had used a 7 pound roast) it had a nice coating of flavor.
Now after you shred the pork you are suppose to put it back in the juices that were in the dutch oven. Well since I couldn't do that I decided to put it in a crock pot and pour more Dr. Pepper in. 
It worked well, but I do think it would have tasted just a little bit better if it had a chance to sit in the onions and chilies too.


So note to self: when trying new recipes DO NOT LEAVE UNATTENDED. :)


Also this pork would be great for tacos, burritos, or salads as well!


Now if you don't like spicy things, just leave out the jalapeño in the coleslaw. With the cayenne pepper and the jalapeño together it makes for some good heat in the slaw. 
And if you don't like coleslaw at all, that is okay as well! I think these sandwiches would be good with some melted pepper jack cheese on them or just plain on the bun.


Pork Sandwiches with Cilantro-Jalapeño Slaw


1 whole Onion, Peeled And Quartered
1 whole Pork Butt (pork Shoulder Roast)
Salt And Pepper
1 can (11 Ounce) Chipotle Peppers In Adobo Sauce
2 cans Cola (Dr Pepper, Coke, Etc.)
2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
12 whole Good Quality Kaiser Or Deli Rolls
12 Tablespoons Butter
1/2 head Cabbage, Sliced Thin
1/2 head Purple Cabbage, Sliced Thin
1 whole Jalapeño, Halved Lengthwise And Thinly Sliced
1/2 cup Whole Milk
1/2 cup Mayonnaise
1 teaspoon White Vinegar
1 Tablespoon Sugar
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1/4 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
2 cups Cilantro Leaves, Barely Chopped



MEAT

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
Generously salt and pepper the pork roast, then set it on top of the onions in the pan.
Pour the can of chipotle peppers over the pork (include the sauce.) Pour in both cans of Dr Pepper. Add brown sugar to the juice and stir in.
Place lid tightly on pot, then set pot in the oven. Cook for at least six hours, turning roast two or three times during the cooking process. Check meat after six hours; it should be absolutely falling apart (use two forks to test.) If it’s not falling apart, return to the oven for another hour.
Remove meat from pot and place on a cutting board or other work surface. Use two forks to shred meat, discarding large pieces of fat. Strain as much of the fat off the top of the cooking liquid as you can and discard it. Return the shredded meat to the cooking liquid, and keep warm until ready to serve. (You can also refrigerate the meat and liquid separately, then remove hardened fat once it’s cold. Then heat up the liquid on the stovetop and return the meat to the liquid to warm up.)
SLAW
Combine shredded cabbage and sliced jalapenos in a bowl. In a separate bowl mix milk, mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, salt, and cayenne. Pour over cabbage. Toss to combine. Cover and refrigerate two hours.
Before serving, toss in cilantro leaves.
SANDWICHES
Butter both halves of Kaiser rolls, then brown them on a griddle or skillet until golden and crisp on the surface. Load up each sandwich with shredded pork, then REALLY load them up with the slaw.
The magic is in the combination of the hot liquid from the meat and the cool, creamy liquid from the slaw.



Recipe Taken From: The Pioneer Woman

No comments: