Friday, August 5, 2011

Cajun Shrimp Pizza

So I left my camera at a friend's house the other night so we used Dave's phone to take a picture of this amazing pizza! It's not the greatest quality of picture so the pizza doesn't look amazing, but it tastes amazing!!
I love pizza with lots of toppings on it. I am NOT just a plain pepperoni pizza person. I want variety and flavor while I eat, this pizza was perfect for that. 
Dare I say, my husband and I ate it all and were sad after we each had our 4th piece and there was no more pizza to eat. 
I loved the spicy cajun shrimp, the roasted red pepper, I even loved the onions on it. 
You will love the homemade pizza sauce as well, it is simple and I think it is the perfect texture and taste.

Cajun Shrimp Pizza

olive oil, for brushing
1/3 cup pizza sauce (to follow)
1/2 lb. medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
2tsp. olive oil
Cajun seasoning, to taste
1 oz. grated Romano cheese (I used Parmesan)
2-3 oz. shredded mozzarella cheese
1 small red bell pepper, roasted, peeled and chopped
1/4 cup red onion, chopped
1/4 cup green onions

Preheat the oven and a pizza stone at 500 degrees F for at least 30 minutes (I used a pizza pan, and I didn't preheat it in the oven). Roll out the pizza dough into a 12-14 inch round (I usually roll it out on the pizza pan, I am not good at getting a perfect circle). Lightly brush the surface of the dough with olive oil. Top with a thin layer of pizza sauce leaving a clear perimeter around the edge for the crust.
Combine the shrimp, olive oil and Cajun seasoning in a bowl and toss until the shrimp are well coated with the seasoning. Heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Place the shrimp in the pan in a single layer and cook briefly, turning once, just until the shrimp are just opaque. Remove from the heat and let cool slightly.
Sprinkle the Romano and mozzarella cheeses evenly over the pizza dough. Top with roasted red pepper, red onion, and green onions. Evenly distribute the cooked shrimp over the pizza. Sprinkle the pizza with additional Cajun seasoning, if desired.
Transfer the pizza to the preheated pizza stone if you are using the pizza stone and bake until cheese is melted and bubbling and the crust is lightly browned, about 10-12 minutes (mine took 8 minutes).
Cool slightly before slicing and serving. 

Pizza Sauce

1 (28 oz.) can whole peeled tomates, drained
1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1 tsp. red wine vinegar
2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. oregano
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper

To make the sauce, combine all ingredients in a food processor. Blend until smooth, about 30 seconds. Transfer to a bowl or container and refrigerate until ready to use.


Recipe Adapted From: Annie Eats

No comments: