Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Grilled Turkey and Swiss

We've been having hot days here in Lubbock, Texas. Hot days equal not wanting to turn on my oven. It also means that it's a good idea for a good sandwich. I really like sandwiches, toasted or grilled sandwiches are my favorite kinds. I am not too picky about what is on my sandwiches either. I like all types of deli meat. I am in love with cheese and will try any variety. I like my sandwiches loaded, with lettuce, pickles, onions, peppers, the works! 
I was very excited when I came across this recipe for grilled turkey and Swiss. I loved the homemade mayo sauce, I didn't have dried thyme so I just used Italian seasoning. It was a wonderful idea, it went well with the flavors.


Grilled Turkey and Swiss Sandwich

1 loaf french bread
soft butter 
1 1/2 - 2 pounds thinly sliced turkey
1 pound thinly sliced Swiss cheese
2 - 3 tomatoes

Sauce:
1 C mayonnaise
1 1/2 T stone ground mustard
1 1/2 T red onion, chopped fine
1 t dried thyme 

1. Chop up your red onion into tiny pieces. Throw it in a bowl with your mayonnaise and stone ground mustard. 
2. Add your dried thyme and stir the sauce together until all ingredients are well combined. 
3. Slice up your bread and tomatoes, and turn on your griddle. Just to medium high heat now. We don't want to burn anything. 
4. Spread a little bit of butter on one side of each piece of bread. Lay it butter side down on the griddle. 
5. Cover the other side with the sauce, then some cheese and a couple of slices of tomato. Layer on a nice thick stack of the turkey and another slice of cheese. 
6. Spread some of the tasty sauce on another one of your butter bread slices. Lay that baby sauce-side-down onto the sandwich. (The side facing up should be buttered.)
7. Let that griddle to its work. Heat that sandwich through....Flip it over when the bottom is golden brown. Let the sandwich get golden brown on it's other side and leave time for both slices of cheese to melt. 
8. Remove your sandwich from the griddle and cut it on the diagonal.

Recipe From: Jamie Cooks It Up

No comments: